A day after sending balloons filled with 'feces' to South Korea, North Korea fires missiles into Sea of ​​Japan

Ronit Kawale
Ronit Kawale - Senior Editor
4 Min Read


North Korea fired a volley of short-range ballistic missiles toward the Sea of ​​Japan on Thursday, South Korean news agency Yonhap reported, citing the country's military.

WhatsApp Group Join Now
Telegram Group Join Now

The incident comes a day after Pyongyang sent hundreds of large balloons filled with garbage and dung into South Korea, and just days after Pyongyang's attempted launch of a military spy satellite rocket failed.

The South Korean military also said today that it had detected attempts by North Korea to jam GPS signals for the second day in a row.

Meanwhile, following the latest launch of ballistic missiles into the Sea of ​​Japan, the United States has called on North Korea to cease “any further unlawful and destabilizing activities”.

According to South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS), about 10 missiles were launched from Pyongyang's Sunan region at 6:14 a.m., and are estimated to have flown about 350 kilometers before falling into the sea, Yonhap reported.

The JCS told reporters that the South Korean military has “strengthened monitoring and vigilance” against additional launches and shared information with US and Japanese officials.

The US Indo-Pacific Command said it was in close consultation with South Korea, Japan and other regional allies and partners.

“We are aware of the DPRK's ballistic missile launches,” the statement said, adding that the United States condemns these actions and will continue to monitor the situation.

“The United States' commitment to the defense of the Republic of Korea and Japan is unwavering,” the statement said.

Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida told reporters in Tokyo that North Korea had fired a ballistic missile that was believed to have fallen outside Japan's exclusive economic zone and that a protest had been lodged with Pyongyang.

The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) will hold an open meeting on Friday to discuss North Korea's recent launch of a military reconnaissance satellite that exploded after launch, resulting in the satellite's failure, Yonhap reported, citing a South Korean official.

Pyongyang is banned from carrying out launches using ballistic missile technology under a United Nations Security Council resolution.

On Tuesday, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemned Pyongyang's launch and urged it to return to talks.

America and South Korea have also criticized North Korea for this launch.

South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said that as of Wednesday morning, the military had detected about 260 balloons sent by North Korea since Tuesday night that fell in various locations across the country, including border areas, Seoul and even the southeastern province of South Gyeongsang.

Meanwhile, according to the Korean Central News Agency, the deputy commander of North Korea's National Aerospace Agency said the satellite-carrying rocket, Malgyong-1, exploded during the first stage of flight on Monday night after being launched from the country's west coast.

Kim Jong Un's government plans to launch three satellites into orbit this year. In November, it successfully put its first military spy satellite into orbit.

Earlier this month on May 17, Pyongyang tested tactical ballistic missiles equipped with a new “autonomous” navigation system, believed to be short-range ballistic missiles.



PressNews24 provides latest news, bollywood news, breaking news hollywood, top tech news, business standard news, indian economy news, world economy news, travel news, mumbai news, latest news mumbai loksabha election 2024, video viral news, delhi news, Only at PressNews24.in

Leave a comment